Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Three Bean Salad at a Potluck - Hit or Miss?

So here it is-a post on something that is discussed very little.  The secret competition of who brings the best dish to a potluck.  

Come on-you know what I'm talking about.  You get an invite to a potluck from a friend.  You accept and say "I'll bring a salad".   The day arrives, you spend all morning preparing this beautiful salad.  You toss it in a bowl, throw on the lid and away you go.  Once at the potluck, you place your salad on a table with all the other offerings. 

From this point it's going to go one of two ways-your dish will be a hit or a miss. If it's a hit, everyone is asking for the recipe.  If it's a miss, you have lots of leftovers that you drag home. 

Unfortunately, this is how I usually feel when I bring my Three Bean Salad to a potluck.  It's most often a miss but the thing is I love bean salad and don't mind the leftovers, so I keep making it.  No one ever asks for the recipe.  I keep telling myself it's because bean salad just isn't that popular.  But in case you're like me and love bean salad here's the recipe and pictures of the most recent potluck I was at-where all the food was yummy! 

Three Bean Salad (Click here for original recipe) 

1 can (15 to 16 ounces) cut green beans, drained
1 can (15 to 16 ounces) cut yellow beans, drained
1 can (about 16 ounces) red kidney beans, drained
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 cup sliced purple onion
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper

*I also like to add chick peas

Rinse beans; drain. Combine beans, green pepper, and sliced onion. Whisk together remaining ingredients; pour over bean mixture. Toss well and chill for at least 4 hours.
 

What's your favorite potluck dish?

~Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment