Friday, March 8, 2013

Mommies Who Read

I love the new book club I've joined.  We're a small group of relatively new moms.  Before book club we knew each other either through mutual friends or a local play group that our kids go to. Our first meeting was in November and we read Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay.  In January we read Dancing on Broken Glass by Ka Hancock and February's book was A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini.  So far, we've all agreed that our selections have been an excellent read and created some great discussions. 

I think what I love most about our Mommies Who Read book club is the fact that we probably stay on topic about the book we read 20% of the time-the remainder of the time we're sharing birth stories and the trial and tribulations of raising our children.  There is always lots to share, no judgements, and we have yummy snacks too!

This month we are reading Letters From Heaven Love Mom xo by Sandy Bucholtz who is a local, Ottawa Valley author.  Click here to learn more about Sandy and her book. I'm hosting this month's meeting and really looking forward to the discussion since the book is a collection of letters to Sandy's children written by her.  I think us moms will have a lot to talk about!




Before I close for the week I want to share a new feature on my blog I'm going to call TNT Pin (or Tried N' True Pin). As mentioned in my earlier "bio" post - I'm a huge Pinterest fan. (You can follow Raising Two on Pinterest now.)  I've posted a lot of things on my personal Pinterest page but who knows if they ever work - and believe me, I've had a lot of Pinterest fails.  So here is a TNT Pin:

TNT Pin (Tried N' True Pin)

Freezing Tomato Paste 

I'm always trying new recipes (a lot of them fail) which tend to require either new ingredients or small amounts of specific items and the rest usually goes to waste.  One of those items is tomato paste.  I'm forever buying a can of tomato paste to use just a few tablespoons.  Until I found this pin.  (Leave it to Martha).  You just open both ends of the can, wrap in plastic wrap and throw it in the freezer.  Then use the metal end to push the frozen tomato paste out.  Wrap in plastic wrap and use only what you need.  I found mine didn't come out easily so I ran it under hot water for about 20 seconds and then it slid right out.  


Hope everyone has a safe and fun filled weekend.  We have a busy one so I'm hoping the kids are healthy and happy for the entire weekend!  Cheers!

~Elizabeth

1 comment:

  1. Always such a great read and such a great idea about the tomato paste...so simple and makes me wonder why didn't I think of that years ago. Thanks for posting :)!

    ReplyDelete